Skip to main content

Sure-real Moments: Labor Day (Full Version) + Birth Day + Happy-dreadful Day

As I said before it's not the day for the migrant workers, it's the part of pregnancy where all your guts, emotion, finance and bodily strength will be put to a test.

Morning of August 18, 2001, I started having the contractions. It felt like its ripping my hips off of my body. I immediately tell it to my Mama and said "Wala pa yan. Kapag sunod-sunod na yan at madalas, manganganak ka na. Lakad lakad ka lang. ( That's nothing. When you feel the contractions more frequent and comes in second, you're on your way. Just walk around.) After hearing my Mama's assurance, I spend my no ordinary day doing light house chores. As the night struck, contractions grew stronger. Can't eat my dinner, can't even sleep. That night was very exhausting. I walk around the living room for nth times while taking deep breaths. I even timed the contractions and write it down to monitor if I was really having getting-ready-to-give-birth contractions. As the night went deeper, the pain is more excruciating. It feels like my upper body and lower body is breaking into two just like a  manananggal (a mythical creature in the Philippines that can rip off its upper body from her waist). I almost scream. The pain was on and off. I try to take a nap in the couch to lessen my drowsiness but I just twist and turn.

August 19, 2011. Light shoot out of the window. It's morning. Around 6am. Mama came down to check how am I doing. She saw me circling around the living room taking deep breaths then she ask me if it still hurts then I answer her yes but it's on and off. Then she told me to take a bath and prepare then we'll go to Amisola Maternity Hospital (where I had my monthly prenatal check ups) to have me check if I were really giving birth. Time check 7am, off we go.

At the hospital, we told the nurse that I'm having contractions and we want to make sure if I'm giving birth. Then the nurse make me sign the log book then she immediately call for an assistant to wheel me to the labor room. At the labor room, another nurse handed me a hospital gown and told me to change. After changing my clothes, the nurse send me to the delivery room to be checked by the ob-gyne. They made me lie down in a metal or stainless metal delivery bed ( I don't know what it is). It's really uncomfortable lying there while I'm laboring. An ob-gyne went in then conduct an I.E. procedure to me. The ob-gyne told me its 5cm so I stay lying down in that hard rock bed.  Inside delivery room, beside me ( left side) is another patient giving birth. I told to myself, I am not watching this! so I turn to my right side but unfortunately there's a glass panel - its reflection. OM! It's a torture!

Next thing happened is a blur. I don't what came first, placing an IV to me or breaking off of my water. I remember it well that my water broke. It feels like a balloon full of water broke inside me. Then again, my water broke. Fluids gushed against my legs. I called Dra. Au (that I don't know if I scream calling out her name or I just whisper that only my armpit could hear). She told me to take deep breaths. I'm really exhausted. My eyes are shut while breathing then I'm totally asleep. Moments passed ( don't know what time is it) another blur moment, I opened my groggy eyes, a doctor (the anesthesiologist) ask my name, my age then I answer it back groggily then next thing happened they waking me up from a deep slumber. It felt like I sleep for a week. I saw kaleidoscopic images - a trance world. I felt no pain and that I belong in that world. Then I heard voices. They waking me up, calling my name. Regina! Regina! (That's what my OB call me) The trance world is turning to oblivion. A light is swallowing me up then my groggy eyes went half open I saw the light in the room, I am already giving birth. I'm pushing all my might then there's someone pushing my back to help (I guess) get the baby out. I'm hearing voices inside the room. 1,2,3 push! Okay one more Regina 1,2,3 push! Everything happened in groggy, drowsy way. Someone (my OB, I guess) is making my cervix a little wider by easing out the surface or the edges of my cervix through her fingers. I can't see it but I could feel it. After the final push, I felt my baby came out. I felt relieved. Everything is out and done. I saw her bloody feet then I passed out.

I felt a splash of water between my legs. I passed out again. Someone is carrying me. My body landed on something soft. It's a bed. Passed out. I opened my groggy eyes. There's an IV on my left hand. I try to look for a wall clock then I saw one on the top of the door. Can't tell the time. Useless. I'm really thirsty as I woke up. I call on the nurse if I can drink but they say not yet. I shut my eyes again. A moment later, I ask the nurse again if I can drink, oops! not again. I don't know how many times I ask for a drink until finally I saw a familiar face, its my Mama. She handed me a bottle of water then I gulp it all down. Mama was not allowed in the room where I'm in. Still in the groggy mode, there is this doctor telling me that I have a multiple laceration in my cervix because according to her I'm pushing when its just 7cm. She asked me who teach how to push so I answer her back, "it's my OB" then she got out of the room. I remember it well inside the delivery room when they tell me to push, I push. I don't know what she's talking about. I've been obedient during that moment and if I did something wrong that time, someone will stop or scold me. Basically, no one ever did so I've done it right.

That doctor again noticed that I have a pale complexion and bruises are showing up in my left arm. She asked if this is my normal complexion I answer her "yes, it is". She's not convinced with my answer so she ordered the nurse to prepare for blood transfusion. Passed out. ......... I opened my eyes, a nurse is placing an IV for blood. She can't place it well in my veins so she pierced it several times in my skin and veins until she get it right. Phew! I'm biting my lips and closing my eyes that time. I'm asking the nurse if it is necessary and if I can just take medication for blood increase. I got no answer from her. Passed out.

Someone is pinching my nipple. It's the nurse from the nursery. She's carrying my baby. I am so happy to see my baby. The nurse is pinching my nipple so my baby can drink milk from me. I asked the nurse if my baby can drink that enough from me, then the nurse said "not that much". She told me that when I was still asleep she came in frequently to feed my baby with my breast milk. After that, they went back to the nursery room. Passed out.

I heard that doctor again ( sorry for abusing the word doctor 'cause I really don't know there names and faces, everything is a blur) told the nurse to call someone from my family to feed me. I can now eat. After a few minutes, another familiar face walking towards my bed. It's my husband, Charles. She kissed me on my forehead then I jokingly pout my lips telling him to kiss me in my lips but he told me "not here" then we laughed. He fed me with the food that hospital provides. So I ate merrily with him. In my plate there's a cup of rice, a sausage, a hard boiled egg and a cup of coffee. I almost ate it all. Then there's that doctor again, she went in to the room checking me and telling my husband what had happened to me. She also told my husband that he got the looks of our daughter then out in the room. I asked my husband if it is necessary for me to have a blood transfusion (showing my husband my right arm with IV for blood) then he explained it to me while checking my complexion and my eyes.Then I just agree to him then I drank my coffee then fell asleep.

My eyes are still shut close, I heard a voice shouting. Valium! Valium! then Starex! Starex! Someone is carrying me. I'm being transferred. I feel being wheeled. I heard whizzing sound then wheeled again. I felt my tummy is being checked. Kinda jelly smooth feel. Someone putting a force or pushing down my abdomen, it pains. Wheeled again. I heard a wheezing sound again. Then wheeled again then my body landed on a soft flat surface.

My groggy eyes opened, I was on a different room, different hospital. I can't remember who is on my side that time. I think it's my husband and tell me that there is a lot of things happened while I'm asleep. He told me after I drank my coffee and fell asleep, I had seizure. They have transfer me to Metropolitan Hospital. They have me X-ray in the ER, ultrasound, and CT scan. He told me that there were 3 doctors checking me - Neurologist, a Cardiologist and an Ob-gyne. What had had happened to me is eclampsia (kindly Google it for more info). At the hospital, I had 24 hour urine analysis, hourly checking of blood pressure, temperature and drinking of meds that lasts for 3 days. And the rest was history.

Finally, I got out of the hospital. August 23, 2011. I'm home. I'm now with my baby. :) Still taking meds and having my check ups up to this time. Savoring the time together with our baby, Sophia Ailee. To the Torres Family, Torres-Nepomuceno family and Abueg-Gonzales family, thank you so much for the help, support, and love, without you I'm not here writing this blog down.

To my husband, Charles, whose with me all the time. Thank you so much. I love you.

To Papa and Mama, who support and love us all through out. An endless thank you. We love you.

To my brother, Ralph Renz and his girlfriend Lhady, for support and love. Thanks a lot.

To Ram, for his absence but I know he still cares.

To Mama Cristy, who support and love us and help my Mama in taking care of Sophia Ailee while me and Charles are still in the hospital. An endless thank you. We love you.

And to Tita Winnie, who support us in all aspect (F,M,E,P). Thank you Tita. We love you.

As my final words, all I can say is..... WHAT A DAY! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day

 I know this is long over due but it is still the month we celebrate Mother's Day, right? So lend me your yes and ears for a while. May 13, 2012. The whole world pays tribute and cheers for the greatest woman of our lives - our mothers. Many names have been called to her. Mom, Mama, Momsie, Mamita, Mimi, Mommy, Inay, Nanay, Mudra or Mudang (in gay language here in the Philippines) but whatever names you call them it will still give a tinge of pride and joy when you call them. On this day, many send their greetings to me thru text (BTW, I'm already a mom). I'm thankful for it but I felt a little awkward. I just told myself, I am officially a mother. This is my first ever mother's day celebration. I greet my mama and she greet me back, and we laugh. We spend the day at home watching movies and eating what's on our fridge. Let's us thank our mom for they are the only person who will love and support us all the way. For us moms, always and forever give ou

AAAAAND IT HIT ME!

An advertisement of dish seasoning here in the Philippines that shows a wife (who is newly wed) having insecurities in her cooking skills because her mother-in -law (her husband's mother) cooks well. This ad knock me out, hard! big time! Though Charles and I were not yet living on the same roof, I'm having this jittery feeling whenever I thought about it. I'm afraid that I cannot equate his mother's skills especially in cooking. I can cook though but I don't have the guts or confidence as many call it. (How's that for insecurity?) Just a brief background about women getting married here in the Philippines, it is a culture and tradition that a girl should know how to do house chores like cleaning the house, washing clothes, doing the dishes, sew, fix, and most specially cooking and preparing meals for the family. As early as a young age, girls are trained and taught about house chores so when the time come that they are having their own family, they're

The webinar lesson I promised :)

Remember the webinar I promise to share with you? Well, here it is. Sorry for keeping you waiting. My apologies. Well, here we go! :) We had this online seminar or webinar last October 5, 2013, as our team called it. Our guest speaker is Coach JR who is also making a living in the networking or MLM arena. He made us close our eyes. He told us to have a clear picture in our minds of what we really want in our life. House, car, another business, a dream wedding, etc. As his explanation goes, envisioning your fruit, always before bedtime or waking up, or making a vision of what you really want keeps you positive and motivated to get it. And that's number 1, envision your fruit. Number 2 Accept it. Own it. If you picture something, let's say a mobile phone or a laptop computer, you picture as if it is.yours. This mobile phone is mine. This car is mine. Then you do something that will make it a reality (legally speaking). Me for example, I picture myself to pay the debt